Saturday, March 11, 2006

Cheryl's Big News...



Well, what a month! Two new CDs coming out; all at the same time!

To begin with CDbaby.com keeps writing that they're selling out... Thanks, y'all! So I'm releasing a CD of my favorite originals (yours, too; I hope.) The name of this new CD is "Cheryl Hodge: Original Article". It's much less messy to use all your own music, as an artist, so that's what I'm aimin' to do from now on (sorry, all you lovers of standards.... you'll have to go to the gigs for those.) So this new CD I speak of should be out in about a month - hang in there!

The second CD is one I've been writing with the great jazz guitarist, John Stowell.... he is so unbelievable (Portland's finest.) That will be a collaboration of artsongs; co-written mostly by John and yours, truly. 90% of my musical growth in the last 10 years could be attributed to the mentorship John has so generously shared.

Last summer, my son Dylan (10) and I did a cross-country tour of the U.S. Gave him an opportunity to work on his bass chops.... Man; that was a blast. We stopped in Erie, Pennsylvania (as Frank Singer, Joe Dorris and the gang were on my way). Erie is a totally hopping place. It's fantastic how people there warm up to jazz and REALLY listen. I felt totally spoiled. Verrrry cooool. What a surprize; no one would suspect Erie, PA as being a jazz hub! But thanks to people like Joe, Frank, Tito and the CATS-A-Bear band, it's an awesome experience. They recently featured Joe Lovano as a guest over there.

Finally, it was over to the Big Apple with a great gig at KAVEHAZ on 34th, with Kevin Lutke and Josh Dion.... very happening night. You've just gotta check that place out. Meridith does such a great job with the bookings... unpretentious and warm... exactly my kinda place.

On our way up to Beantown we stopped to visit with the great Steve DiConti, who generously put us up (thanks, to his beautiful wife, Jayne, too). Steve and Dylan had the best jam session.
The campfire jam was particula

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home